Looking to get pearly white teeth like your favorite celebrities? If you are one of those people who have bought and tried a random budget whitening toothpaste from the supermarket, you might have been disappointed by the lack of results. The good news is that there are plenty of other things you can do to achieve those pearly whites! Listed below are some tips on how to prevent your teeth from turning yellow, as well as tips on how to achieve that sought-after smile.
1. Stay away from acidic drinks such as red wine, tea, and other citrus juices. Yes, even coffee is a known offender. These drinks get stuck in between the cracks of your teeth, thereby causing discoloration. If you really need to get your daily fix of tea or wine, consider using a straw. For coffee lovers, adding large amounts of milk can lessen the chances of stains. No matter what you do, though, always drink a glass of water afterward.
2. Smoking kills. It’s no secret that tobacco does a lot of bad things to the body, yet people still yearn for one last puff. Tobacco stains settle into the enamel of the teeth, causing the color to change if left untreated for a long time. Not only that, but smoking is also a notorious cause of serious issues such as gum recession and mouth cancer. In a nutshell: If you want healthy teeth, ditch the nicotine.
3. Have you ever tried home remedies? This may or may not work for everyone, but there’s no harm in trying. People swear by certain remedies such as brushing with baking soda, using hydrogen peroxide, gargling with apple cider vinegar, and even trying out activated charcoal. Before you do anything, however, it is important to do some research. Make sure you don’t have any underlying medical conditions that might cause further problems along the way.
4. Be more conscious of the foods you eat. When was the last time you had a healthy serving of fruits and vegetables? Do you know that some foods are capable of rubbing away plaque as you chew? Yes, crunchy vegetables and raw fruits have been proven to help whiten teeth. Examples are strawberries and pineapple. Eat a regular serving per day, and you can expect to achieve a whiter set of teeth in no time.
5. Do not underestimate the power of dental floss. It is unfortunate that some people think of flossing as a mundane and unnecessary task when in fact, flossing should be treated as a companion to the toothbrush. When you floss, you remove bits of food from your mouth. You might not see short-term differences as far as whitening is concerned, but in the long run,
you’ll be glad you didn’t skip this important part.
6. At the end of the day, nothing beats going to your family dentist for teeth whitening. Dental practitioners will be able to know the needs of your teeth. They will inform you of any possible side effects, as well as the ideal whitening treatment. While sitting on the dentist’s chair, never hesitate to ask questions; they will surely give you more tips on how to maintain your pearly-
white teeth. Now, go forth and show off that glowing smile!