Mother’s Day or Mothering Sunday is celebrated on the 4th Sunday during the season of Lent in the UK. This year Mother’s Day will be celebrated on 10th March 2013.
It in the 16th century when people returned to their ‘mother ‘church (large local church or Cathedral) to attend mass on this Sunday. Later on, servants in households were given the day off to attend the service with their mothers and families. It became a day for families to get together and share a meal and spend time with each other.
The idea of gift giving, it is believed began with children picking flowers from the wayside to give to their mothers. Today it has become a practice to give Mothers a gift on this day.
With Mother’s Day almost upon us, I thought it would be a good idea to put together an easy gift guide. All these gifts can be purchased online and easily delivered in time for the big day.
1. Letterbox cake from Bakerdays – I had reviewed two cakes from Bakerdays and these personalised cakes make an excellent gift. The cakes are really yummy and come packed in a lovely tin. There is no way that any mum is not going to like this.
2. I-pic – This photoframe is not like your traditional frames. The photo is embedded in the personalised frame. Choose from a range of themes and add a personalised message. There are some excellent themes for Mother’s Day.
3. Bags of love – There are some wonderful personalised gifts to create online and you can add a number of photos or a single one with some text. Choose from duck feather or polyester pad cushions, tote bags, canvas prints and a who lot mor.
4. Prezzy Box – For great gift ideas go to Prezzybox and choose from a range of gifts that include chocolate, personalised gifts, jewellery, pampering gifts and home and cookery gifts.
5. Ceracook Knives – If your mum loves cooking, she will adore these sharp, high quality ceramic knives. Choose from a range of knives with different functions.
6. Sodastream Drinks Maker – Have a mum addicted to fizz? Gift her, the ultimate fizz maker – Sodastream allows you to create your own fizzy drinks at home. Its fun with a variety of flavours to choose from and you never run out – well not until you run out of gas, literally!!
7. Whittards of Chelsea – Who can refuse a brilliant cuppa? Head over to Whittards for some great tastes in tea, coffee and hot chocolate. There are also some great gifts to choose from like teapots, hampers and biscuits.