Breakfast always seems to be the most difficult meal of the day to plan. Yes, there are easy to do instant oats and cereals from a box but we normally keep those for school mornings when we are in a rush. We miss British breakfasts – muffins, bagels, crumpets etc In the US, all the bread products seem to be sweet. But, since we’re here to stay, we’ve got to make the most of what we have. Enter – Avocado on Toast.
Avocado is cheap and abundant here in California. Thank goodness the kids love it because personally I’ve found avocado to be an extremely bland fruit. (yes it is a fruit)
This quick, easy, healthy recipe is destined to quickly become a family favourite and since it takes just about 5 minutes to put together, it’s a winner.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 medium avocados
- 1 tomato – sliced
- 4 eggs
- Arugula (rocket)
- Balsamic vinegar – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hollandaise sauce (optional)
- 4 slices of bread
- Toast the bread – it should be toasted well so that it is hard and crunchy.
- Mash the avocado and add the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper
- Fry the eggs or you can also poach them. We like the yolk runny and they taste best like this for the recipe. If you don’t like your eggs sunny side up, you can flip fry them.
- Assemble your meal – spread the avocado mash on a slice of toast, add the sliced tomato (3 slice for each toast slice), add a few rocket leaves finish with the egg on the top.
- If you are poaching the eggs, add some Hollandaise sauce and finish with a chopped rocket or chives.
This literally takes 5 mins to put together and it’s a healthy way to start the day.