I first came across these butterfly cakes when my sister-in-law was making them with my niece and they have been a firm favourite ever since. I’ve made them with my children and they have always been a huge hit. Perhaps it’s the additional frosting that added to the cake or just the butterfly wings. Whatever it is, we love them. I have also filled the cakes sometimes with lemon curd and those are just delicious. In fact, that would be my favourite.
It’s a simple recipe. I added a few extras to make it soft and fluffy.
175 g self-raising flour
175 g sugar (caster or granulated)
175 g butter
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp baking powder
Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
- Whisk all the ingredients together with a stand mixer or a handheld mixer.
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Fill each to up two-thirds way up.
- Bake for 20 – 25 mins in the oven.
- Let the cakes cool on a wire rack.
- Cut out a little conical shape from each cake. Then slice the bit that you cut out into two.
- Fill the cavity with vanilla frosting. Add the ‘wing’ on the top of the frosting.
- Dust with icing sugar.