Whenever we have had someone over to look into boiler safety, I was always asked if I have a Carbon Monoxide alarm. I always said no and asked if it was important.
I was told it was especially important with children in the house but it was not mandatory.
I have since then looked into the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and I am sure that it should be mandatory. There are some facts that I didn’t know of –
- It claims 40 lives every year in Britain and puts 200 others in hospital
- It comes from, household appliances such as boilers, cookers, fires and heaters
- Often called the silent killer, it is completely odourless and tasteless.
- Symptoms to be aware of are headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, leading to collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Most deaths that occur by carbon monoxide poisoning are at night when people are asleep in their beds
In order to protect yourself you should make sure all your appliances are checked regularly by a Gas Safe Registered engineer and crucially get a carbon monoxide detector. They are relatively cheap and work as an early warning system similar to a smoke detector.
I was sent this Carbon Monoxide detector and it makes me so much more at ease. It is small and easy to fit. You can either attach it to the wall or leave it free standing. The alarm will go off if there is any detection of carbon monoxide.
I have set it up and tested it. When the power is on – the green power button blinks every minute so you know it’s working.
The fault button was not on so it’s working fine and I’m glad to say that our home is carbon monoxide free. Of course, things may change so I am happy to have this detector installed so that if there is a leak, I would know immediately and be able to resolve it.
If you would like to find out more about the dangers of Carbon monoxide poisoning, check out the website here – http://corgi-homeplan-how-safe-is-your-home.org/
Disclaimer: I was sent a carbon monoxide detector for my home. All ideas and opinions are my own.